Why Buy Caustic Soda 20% w/v Online from UK Chemical Suppliers, ReAgent Chemicals?
ReAgent can supply caustic soda in a 20% w/v solution in 1L, 2.5L and 25L containers. Please contact us for a quote. This solution is made according to very strict conditions, typically ranging between 19.7% and 20.3%. Further details can be found in the Sales Product Specification available online.
Physical and chemical properties of soda caustic
- Chemical formula: NaOH
- Molecular weight: 39.99 g/mol
- Other names: Sodium hydroxide, soda lye or white caustic
- Form: White crystals, usually sold in pellets, flakes or granular form.
- Odour: odourless
- Colour: As a solid, it forms white crystals, but in solution it’s colourless
- Solubility: Caustic soda is highly soluble in water, only slightly soluble in alcohol and insoluble in non-polar solvents
- Relative density: 1.186 ( at 20 degree Celsius)
- Boiling point: 1388 degree Celsius
- Melting point: 232 degree Celsius
- Corrosivity: highly corrosive to metals, including aluminium, zinc and tin
- pH: Highly alkaline solution, ranging from pH 12 in a 0.05% to pH 14 in a 5% solution
- Reaction with air: It can rapidly absorb water and carbon dioxide from air
- Chemical stability: Not stable if in contact with air, as it can form carbonates by reacting with carbon dioxide
- Highly hygroscopic
- Exothermic reactions: the dissolution of caustic soda in water or with acids and organic halogens is highly exothermic, and as such it releases a significant amount of heat. For safety reasons, this should be taken into consideration when preparing these solutions.
Wide choice of products
ReAgent can offer a wide range of soda caustic products, including in pellets or solution, as well as different concentrations in ready-made solutions. Simply contact us for a quote or free technical advice, and a member of our customer service team will be glad to help.