Why Buy Hydrochloric Acid (Laboratory Use) Online from ReAgent Chemicals?
We supply hydrochloric acid for laboratory use in 2.5L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders. This product is sold with minimum levels of impurities, including a maximum 0.004% sulphate, 2 ppm iron, 2ppm heavy metals and 0.01% non-volatile matter (see Sales products Specification for more details). We also offer more options, from customised labelling to specific pack sizes.
Production of Hydrochloric Acid
Hydrochloric acid can be achieved via different processes. Most common are:
- As a by-product during the manufacture of several organic compounds (from chlorination reactions)
- Via the Manheim process, involving a direct reaction between sodium chloride or potassium chloride and sulphuric acid, at high temperatures
- Via the Hargreaves process, involving a reaction between oxygen, sulphur dioxide and salt (exothermic reaction)
- Via the Meyer process, involving sodium bisulphite and sodium chloride reacting at high temperatures (400 to 800°C)
- The burning of hydrogen gas and chlorine
The first process accounts for the vast majority of hydrochloric acid produced worldwide (over 90%), while the alternative processes are dedicated to more niche applications.
Products Available in the Market
Typically hydrochloric acid can be found in solutions up to 38%. Higher concentrations are theoretically possible, but evaporation losses are very high and the solution would have to be kept in very rigorous storage conditions in terms of temperature and pressure to minimise such losses. Commonly solutions of 30-35% are used to allow easy but effective transport and storage without incurring in significant HCl vapours.
In the Market for Over 40 Years
We’ve been established in the market for over 40 years, and during that period have supplied many different companies, from small industries to well-known names in the pharmaceutical or food industry, to name just a few. Simply contact us for further information or free technical advice. All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually dispatched within 24 hours.