Need Methanol for Analytical Use?
- We supply methanol for analytical use in 2.5L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- This product is sold with a 99.5% minimum purity and low levels of impurities (further information can be found on our website)
- We also offer further options with all our products, including bespoke products and specific pack sizes
What is methanol typically used for?
This compound is used in a multitude of different applications:
- Substrate: The most important application for methanol is as a substrate to synthesise other chemicals. For example, methanol can be converted to formaldehyde used subsequently in the manufacture of many different products, from plywood to explosives. Also, in many parts of the world, methanol is used to produce fuel additive methyl tert-butyl ether or used in esterification reactions to form biodiesel. A third example includes dimethyl ether, a recent replacement for propellant chlorofluorocarbon.
- Fuel: Methanol can be used directly as fuel in many different types of engines, including cars, trucks and aeroplanes. One of the limitations of using methanol is its corrosivity, particularly affecting aluminium. The resultant methoxide salts are dissolved in the remaining methanol solution, leaving a clean aluminium surface which can then be attacked by oxygen.
- Niche applications: There are many other niche uses for methanol:
- Denaturant for ethanol (to produce denatured alcohol)
- Windshield washer fluid
- Wastewater treatment (carbon source for denitrifying bacteria)
- Used in the manufacture of polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis
- Used in fuel cells
- Camping and boat stoves
Over 30 years’ experience
We’ve been established in the field of chemical manufacture for over 30 years, and during this period we’ve built an enviable reputation of high quality products and excellent customer service. Simply contact us for further information about our products or free technical advice.