Need Methylene Chloride for Laboratory Use?
- We supply methylene chloride for laboratory use in 2.5L and 25L containers
- Full MSDS available to download from our website
- We also offer further options with our products, including customised labelling and specific pack sizes
- Contact us for further information or free technical advice
About methylene chloride
Methylene chloride – often referred to as Dichloromethane or DCM for short – is an organic chemical with the formula CH2Cl2. This sweet smelling solution is not miscible with water, but it’s commonly used as a solvent with many organic compounds.
This compound can be found naturally in algae, volcanoes and wetlands, but despite this widespread distribution, the most common source is the result of industrial emissions released to the environment.
In terms of production, methylene chloride is produced by mixing methane with chlorine gas at high temperatures. The process involves a series of reactions to generate increasingly more chlorinated compounds: chloromethane (CH3Cl), Dichloromethane (CH2Cl2), chloroform (CCl3) and carbon tetrachloride (CCl4). All these compounds can be separated by distillation.
Methylene chloride is a common ingredient in many different industrial processes, from the textile to food industry:
- Solvent for organic compounds
- Paint stripper
- Degreaser (food industry)
- Used in the process of decaffeinating tea and coffee
- Used to prepare hops and other flavourings
- Spray propellant and blowing agent
- Used to manufacture plastic (as a welding adhesive)
- Used in the textile industry
- Used in jukeboxes
- Used to test bituminous materials in civil engineering
At ReAgent, we are very proud of our friendly and efficient customer service. If you need assistance, a member of staff will be glad to help you before, during and after your purchase to ensure our products meet your needs. All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours after purchase.