Looking for Phosphoric Acid for General Use?
- We supply phosphoric acid for general use in 2.5L and 25L containers, as well as 200L drums
- Discounts available for bulk orders over 4 items
- Full MSDS is also available to download from our website
Chemical and Physical Properties of Phosphoric Acid
- Name: Phosphoric acid
- Alternative names: Orthophosphoric acid
- Molecular formula: H3PO4
- Molecular weight: 97.996 g/mol
- Appearance: Hygroscopic colourless crystals, forming a viscous solution in water
- Odour and taste: Odourless but with an acid taste
- Boiling point: 407°C (415°F)
- Melting point: 42.4°C (108°F)
- Solubility: Soluble in water, alcohol, and ether
- Decomposition: Converts to pyrophosphoric acid (H4P2O7) when heated to over 200°C
- Corrosivity: Corrosive to ferrous metals and alloys
- Acidity: pH around 1.5 in aqueous solution (0.1N)
- Manufacture of fertilisers (over 70%)
- Manufacture of agricultural feeds
- Water treatment
- Used in soaps and detergents
- Used in the food industry, including pet food and beverages
- Used in cosmetic and personal hygiene products, in particular toothpastes
- Manufacture of fire control products
- Used in the textile industry
- Used as a catalyst
- Used in the drilling industry
- Rust removal
How safe is phosphoric acid?
As an acid, phosphoric acid can be dangerous if not handled in a safe manner.
- It’s not combustible but releases toxic fumes in a fire
- If in contact with skin, it may cause chemical burns and blisters. It’s also an irritant to the eyes.
- If inhaled or ingested, it causes a burning sensation in the throat and difficulties breathing. It can also result in abdominal pain and collapse.
At ReAgent, we’re very proud of our friendly service. If you need help, a member of our customer service team will be glad to assist you before, during and after your order to ensure our products meets your needs. Simply contact us for further information.