Need Potassium Hydroxide 36% w/v?
- We supply potassium hydroxide 36% w/v in 2.5L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- MSDS is available to download from our website
- We also offer other options with all our products, including bespoke blending and different grades
Chemical and physical properties of potassium hydroxide
Similarly to sodium hydroxide, this compound represents the typical strong base. It has many industrial applications, most exploring its corrosive nature and/or reactivity with acids.
- Name: Potassium hydroxide
- Molecular formula: KOH
- Molecular weight: 56.1 g/mol
- Physical description: Odourless white or slightly yellow crystals
- Boiling point: 1327 degree Celsius (2415 Fahrenheit)
- Melting point: 380 degree Celsius (716 Fahrenheit)
- Solubility: Insoluble in ammonia and ether, but soluble in ethanol, glycerol and water
- Decomposition: When heated it releases toxic fumes (K2O)
- pH: Highly alkaline at around 13 (0.1M solution)
- Reactivity: Exothermic reactions in the presence of acid and alcohol
- Absorption: Can absorb water and carbon dioxide from air
How safe is potassium hydroxide?
This compound is a strong base and highly reactive, and inappropriate use can be dangerous:
- Irritant to eyes and throat
- Non-flammable, but may generate toxic fumes in case of fire
- In case of spillages, all material needs to be thoroughly cleaned and neutralised with acetic acid
- Can cause severe chemical burns on contact with skin
- Potassium hydroxide must be stored in a well-ventilated area in a cool and dry place
- Protective clothing, including goggles and gloves must be worn at all times
- In case of accidental exposure, remove patient to a well-ventilated area and wash affected areas with water. In case of ingestion or inhalation, seek immediate medical assistance.
Open an account with us
If you’re a regular customer, you may wish to open an account with us. In that case, contact us and a member of our sales team will be happy to help. We also offer free technical advice and help before, during and after your order.