Need Potassium Hydroxide Alcoholic 0.1M?
- We supply potassium hydroxide alcoholic in 2.5L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- MSDS can be downloaded from our website
- We also offer many other options, including custom labelling and specific pack sizes
How is potassium hydroxide used?
Potassium hydroxide (KOH) and sodium hydroxide (NaOH) have very similar properties, and can be used interchangeably in several different applications. These include all cases that rely on these chemicals’ strong basic characteristics.
- Biodiesel: Both sodium and potassium hydroxide can be used to produce biodiesel. Particularly in the case of potassium hydroxide, the by-product glycerin is very popular as a cheap feedstock for livestock (after removing toxic methanol)
- Soap: Similarly, both compounds can be used in the synthesis of soap. In this case, potassium-based soaps are more likely to be liquid, whereas sodium-based soaps are solid.
- Electrolyte: In theory, both potassium and sodium hydroxide can be used as an electrolyte in alkaline batteries. However, a potassium-based version is more conductive.
In contrast, for uses involving potassium itself, this compound cannot be replaced by the cheaper sodium hydroxide:
- Precursor of potassium compounds: This compound is typically used in the manufacture of many potassium salts, resulting from neutralisation reactions. These include, for example, carbonate, phosphate, cyanide, silicate and permanganate, obtained by treating potassium hydroxide with oxides or acids.
- Fertilisers: Potassium-containing fertilisers also require potassium hydroxide
- Chemical cremation: Entomologists and biologists use a 10% solution to degrade organic tissue and recover an intact skeleton for analysis
- Cosmetic applications: Potassium hydroxide is often one of the main ingredients in manicure treatments, particularly used to remove cuticles
- Hair removal in hides: A solution of potassium hydroxide is also used to eliminate hair from animal hides. A more dilute version can be used in pre-shaving foams and creams to weaken the hair before cutting.
100% quality guarantee
All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours after purchase. If you need assistance, a member of staff will be glad to guide you through your order. We also offer free technical advice. Simply contact us for further information.