Need Potassium Iodide 5% w/v?
- We supply potassium iodide 5% w/v in 2.5L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- We also supply potassium iodide LRG, as well as 1% and 10% w/v solutions
- In addition, with all our products we offer multiple options, such as custom labelling and specific pack sizes
Chemical and physical properties of potassium iodide
- Name: Potassium iodide
- Molecular formula: KI
- Molecular weight: 166 g/mol
- Physical appearance: Colourless or white crystals with a strong saline taste
- Boiling point: 1323 degree Celsius
- Melting point: 681 degree Celsius
- Solubility: Soluble in alcohol, water, ether, ammonia, acetone and glycerol
- Stability: Stable in dry air, but light and moisture accelerate decomposition. Volatises at temperatures above 680 degree Celsius
- pH: Forms an aqueous solution with a pH neutral or slightly alkaline (between 7 and 9)
- Slightly deliquescent in dry air, and after long exposure to air it can turn to yellow due to oxidation
- Hygroscopic in moist air
- Can dissolve elemental iodine
Potassium iodide is commonly indicated after accidental exposure to radiation to avoid excessive accumulation of radioactive iodine, particularly to protect the thyroid gland. Also to treat the thyroid gland, potassium iodide is also often prescribed to treat hyperthyroidism and general iodine deficiency.
Vets also use this chemical as an antitussive to help excrete respiratory fluids and reduce coughing. Potassium iodide can be used as an anti-inflammatory in monkeys and rats. Its use in dogs can give some relief in cases of pruritis, although in this case it seems that is the potassium that is essential, as potassium chloride produces similar results.
Open an account with us
Are you a regular customer? Would you like to make your orders easier and faster? Then you can open an account with us. Simply contact our sales team, and a member of staff will be glad to help. We also offer free technical advice about all our products.