Looking for Potassium Iodide?
- We supply potassium iodide LRG in 500g containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- This product is sold with a minimum 99% purity levels (see further information in the Sales Specification Product, available to download from our website)
- We also offer a wide range of other potassium iodide products, including 1%, 5% and 10% solutions
How is potassium iodide used in industry?
This compound has several applications in industry, including:
- Used in combination with silver nitrate to produce silver iodide (used in photography)
- Used as an ingredient in hair treatment chemicals
- Used as an ingredient in some disinfectants
- Used as a fluorescent quenching agent: interestingly depending on the type of solution, iodide ion is capable of reducing or enhancing fluorescence
- Component in the electrolyte solution in dye-sensitised solar cells
- Popular chemical used in organic synthesis, to convert aryl amines to aryl iodides (known as the Sandermeyer reaction).
- “Generally recognised as safe” (GRAS) to be used in the food industry
- Also used in animal feeds
Safety and hazards
As with all chemicals, staff handling potassium iodide must follow important safety procedures:
- This chemical needs to be stored at temperatures between 15 and 30 degree Celsius (59 and 86 Fahrenheit) in a tightly closed container
- Always wear appropriate protective clothing, including goggles and gloves
- Symptoms or chronic iodide poisoning include metallic taste in the mouth, swollen eyes, skin eruptions, nausea, vomiting, gastric pain and diarrhoea and oedema of the throat
Over 30 years’ experience
We’ve been established in the market as a chemical manufacturer for over 30 years, and during that period we’ve built an enviable reputation for high quality products and excellent customer service. We offer a wide range of products, from speciality test kits to buffer and pharmaceutical chemicals. We also offer bespoke solutions if you need it. Simply contact us for further information or free technical advice.