Looking for Propylene Glycol for General Use?
- We supply propylene glycol in 2.5L and 25L containers, as well as 200L drums
- Discounts available for bulk orders
- We also offer propylene glycol for laboratory use
- In addition, we offer further options such as personalised packaging and bespoke blending
Chemical and physical properties of propylene glycol
- Name: Propylene glycol
- Alternative names: 1,2-propanediol, propane-1,2-diol
- Molecular formula: C3H8O2
- Molecular weight: 76,1 g/mol
- Physical appearance: Colourless and odourless liquid, highly viscous and hygroscopic
- Boiling point: 187.6 degree Celsius
- Freezing point: -60 degree Celsius
- Flash point: 104 degree Celsius
- Solubility: Miscible with acetone and chloroform; soluble in ether. This compound can also dissolve many essential oils, but is immiscible with fixed oils.
- Stability: It can be stored safely at cool temperatures by itself or mixed with water, glycerol or ethanol. However, in high temperatures it can oxidise, resulting in several by-products including lactic acid, acetic acid, pyruvic acid and propionaldehyde.
- Auto-ignition: 371 degree Celsius
- Decomposition: When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
Safety and hazards: how dangerous is propylene glycol?
- Fire hazard: Combustible and at around 100 degree Celsius, explosive vapour/air mixtures may be formed
- Chemical hazard: Reacts with strong oxidisers
- Skin and eye exposure: May cause redness and skin irritation due to dehydration. If first aid is needed after exposure, rinse with plenty of water for several minutes and remove contact lenses if possible.
- Inhalation risk: Can be irritant to the respiratory tract, but under normal circumstances a harmful contamination of the air will be difficult to achieve due to poor evaporation rates at 20°C
- Ingestion risk: Generally seen as non-toxic, but in case of ingestion rinse mouth and seek medical advice
- Storage: As propylene glycol is highly hygroscopic, this compound should be stored in a well-closed container, protected from light, in a cool, dry place.
Open an account with us
Are you a regular customer? Would you like to open an account with us? If so, simply contact us and a member of our sales team will be glad to guide you through the process. All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours after purchase.