Looking for Silver Nitrate 0.02M?
- We supply silver nitrate 0.02M in 2.5L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- Full MSDS is available to download from our website
- We also offer silver nitrate in solid form or in a 0.1M and 0.01M solution
- In addition, with all our products you can have customised labelling and specific packs sizes among other options
What is silver nitrate used for?
This compound is a useful chemical in many industrial processes, including:
- Precursor: This compound is not only the cheapest salt of silver, but it’s also one of the most stable to light, non-hygroscopic and dissolves in water, thus offering many attractive properties to promote its use. In addition, nitrate can be easily replaced in replacement reactions, making this compound very versatile in industrial processes. Examples vary from manufacture of photographic film to explosives, such as azide, fulminate or acetylide.
- Analytical chemistry: Ag cation is able to quickly react with halides to generate insoluble silver halide. The result is a cream precipitate in the presence of Br, white with Cl and yellow with I. As such this reaction is ideal to test for the presence of chloride, bromide or iodide. The sample needs to be acidified to eliminate interfering ions, such as carbonate and sulphide, which may interfere with the results. The precipitate varies with the halide present: cream (silver bromide), white (silver chloride) and yellow (silver iodide)
- Organic synthesis: Silver nitrate can be used to separate different alkenes by selective absorption, after which ammonia is used to release the free alkene.
- Histology: This compound is used to identify reticular fibres, nucleic acids and proteins, including in PAGE gels and scanning electron microscopy.
We’re very proud of our friendly customer service. If you need assistance, contact us and a member of staff will be glad to help before, during and after your purchase to ensure our product meets your expectations. Simply contact us for further information or free technical advice.