Need Tartaric Acid?
- We supply tartaric acid in 2.5L containers, with discounts on bulk orders
- We also offer further options with all our products, including custom labelling and bespoke blending
Chemical and physical properties of tartaric acid
- Name: Tartaric acid
- Alternative name: 2,3-Dihydroxybutanedioic acid, 2,3-Dihydroxysuccinic acid, racemic acid, uvic acid
- Molecular formula: C4H6O6
- Molecular weight: 150 g/mol
- Appearance: White crystalline to slightly opaque powder
- Taste: Pleasant but acidic taste
- Melting point: 206°C
- Flashpoint: 210°C
- Auto-ignition: 425°C
- Solubility: Soluble in water, alcohol, mineral acids and alkalis
- Density: Denser than water at 1.985 (at 18 degree Celsius)
- Stability: Tartaric acid is very unstable, both in solution and as a solid, with a tendency to lose ammonia if exposed to air. This results in a more acidic product, which will need pH adjustment to maintain neutrality.
- Fire hazard: Combustible
- Health hazards: Can cause redness and pain in contact with skin and eyes, as well as burning sensation and difficulties breathing if inhaled. In addition, ingestion may cause abdominal pain, shock and collapse if not treated promptly. It’s important to note that symptoms may be delayed.
- Chemical hazards: When in solution, this compound forms a medium strong acid
- Safety procedures: Safe use of this compound includes wearing appropriate protective clothing, as well as gloves and goggles. This acid must always be used in a well-ventilated area and away from open flames. If working in a confined place, staff must use dust masks to avoid contact with dust.
Open an account with us
If you’re a regular customer, we offer the possibility of opening an account with us to make your orders smoother and faster. If you wish to do so, simply contact us and a member of our sales team will be glad to help.